COVID-19 Update

The changing nature of the pandemic affects some of the services we can offer and how they are delivered.

For the latest information please contact us.

Registering the death


The Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages must register the death before the funeral can be put in place by the funeral director. Death must also be registered within 8 days of the death certificate being issued. A death that happens in Scotland must be registered in Scotland, even if the deceased usual residence was outwith Scotland and the body is to be taken outwith Scotland for internment.

By whom?

The death may be registered by:

  • Any relative (this includes the spouse or civil partner of the person who died or a relative by marriage or civil partnership).
  • Any person present at the death.
  • The executor or other legal representative.
  • The occupier of the premises where the death took place; or, if there is no such person.
  • Any other person possessing the information needed for registration.


Deaths may be registered by any registrar in Scotland.You can get the address of the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages for the area from the funeral director, the telephone directory, the hospital or doctor or the Post Office. You should check when the registrar is available.

Take with you:

  • Medical certificate of death.
  • Any certificate or document relating to any pension, benefits, or allowances which the person was receiving from public funds.
  • NHS medical card, if available.
  • The person’s birth and marriage or civil partnership certificates, if available.

Things to tell the Registrar:

The full name, occupation and postal address of the person and his or her date and country of birth.

If the person was:

  • Married or a civil partner.
  • Widowed or a surviving civil partner.
  • Divorced or his or her civil partnership was dissolved or annulled.

Tell the registrar the full name and occupation of the husband, wife or civil partner. If the person had been married or in a civil partnership more than once, you should also give the registrar details of previous spouses and civil partners.

  • If the person was married or a civil partner at the date of death, tell the registrar the date of birth of the surviving widow, widower or civil partner.
  • The full name and occupation of the dead person’s father, and the full name and maiden surname of his or her mother.
  •  Whether the person was in receipt of a pension or an allowance from public funds.
  • The name and address of the person’s NHS doctor.

The Registrar will give you:

  • A Certificate of Registration of Death (Form 14), to be given to the funeral director so that the funeral can go ahead.
  • A form 334/SI, “Registration or notification of death” for use in obtaining or adjusting Benefits or for National Insurance purposes.
  • On payment of the appropriate fee, an extract of the entry recorded in the Register of Deaths. You may need this to get information about the person’s assets. This could include things such as his or her pension, insurance policies, savings, and Premium Bonds.

If someone dies abroad:

  • Register the death according to the rules in the country where the person died, and get a certificate of death.
  • Although not required, you may also be able to register the death with the British Consulate. This would mean that a record of the death will be kept in Scotland, and you would be able to get a copy of the record at a later date from the General Register Office for Scotland, New Register House, West Register Street, Edinburgh EH1 3YT, telephone: 0131 334 0380.
  • If you need further assistance you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Birth, Marriage and Death (BMD) Certificate Helpline 0207 0080186 (mornings only). If a baby is stillborn (born dead after the 24th week of pregnancy): Register the stillbirth within 21 days.
  • Give the Registrar a certificate of stillbirth (Form 6) signed by the midwife or doctor.
  • If no midwife or doctor was present, the parents will have to sign a Declaration as to Stillbirth (Form 7) which they can get from the registrar. The registrar will then give you a Certificate of Registration of Stillbirth (Form 8) to give to the funeral director so that the funeral can go ahead. (For help with the funeral of a stillborn baby, see also section 8.).

Saltcoats (head office)
29 Chapelwell Street, Saltcoats, Ayrshire, KA21 5EB
Tel: 01294 607001 | Fax: 01294 606407

3 Lade Street, Largs KA30 8AZ
Tel: 01475 670555 | Fax: 01475 670555

Memorial Showroom
25 Chapelwell Street, Saltcoats, Ayrshire, KA21 5EB
Tel: 01294 607001 | Fax: 01294 606407

All Content and Images © Paul Stevenson Independent Funeral Directors and our licensed sources. All Rights Reserved.

Back to Top